Carnival Corporation’s new ship building program will have a more modest approach from 2013 onwards, its chief executive told reporters earlier this week.
Chairman and chief executive Micky Arison said Monday that the cruise operator was “still right in the middle” of a big expansion with six new ships scheduled to join this year.
However, from 2013 onwards the programme will be a “more slow and rational” and the number of ships joining will be reduced to two or three a year.
Arison said the decision to invest in fewer ships would drive more cash into the business and match the softening demand in the market.
"People think, if you don’t build as many ships, that you’re either trying to drive more cash flow or that demand is diminishing. The truth is that it’s a combination of both," he said.He added that he expected to confirm an order for two new Princess Cruise’s ships within weeks.
Source = e-Travel Blackboard: J.L