In order to unlock unique and immersive travel experiences for guests, Silversea is expanding its local entertainment offering by nearly threefold in 2019. The cruise line’s new, enhanced portfolio of 112 local performances—many of which are tailored exclusively for Silversea’s guests by talented artists—will enable travellers to dive deep into the cultures of the world, as they form meaningful connections with destinations.
For travellers seeking authentic cultural experiences, Silversea’s regional entertainment programming literally brings the destination aboard, showcasing the history, traditions and spirit of the people and places visited on voyages across the globe. From Caribbean steel drummers to Cambodian Aspara dancers, Spanish flamenco artists and Italian musical ensembles, guests will enjoy many inspiring performances from talented, local dancers, musicians and vocalists. Aboard Silver Muse, Silver Wind, Silver Whisper, Silver Shadow, Silver Spirit and Silver Cloud, most guests cruising for 10 days or more will enjoy a local performance, in addition to Silversea’s customary entertainment programme.
“Leveraging our destination expertise, these exceptional performers are handpicked not only to entertain but also to present the true essence of their country’s culture and traditions,” said Antonio Marangi, Silversea’s Director of Entertainment and Enrichment. “Silversea’s complimentary entertainment program provides our guests with a deeper and more meaningful immersion into the authentic culture of a destination, going beyond their experiences ashore, and creating moments that are both personally enriching and transformative.”
Silversea’s guests will enjoy the following local entertainment offerings in 2019, among many others:
J4 Quartet in New York, USA: The J4 Quartet, whose members Khari Joyner, Jeremy Kienbaum, Hikaru Yonezaki, and Julia Glenn all met while studying at New York City’s prestigious Juilliard School, performs nearly every stylistic period, including baroque, classical, romantic, and contemporary. Each artist also enjoys a very active solo and teaching career, with both U.S. and international engagements.
– 2930 – Montreal to Charleston (South Carolina): Guests traveling aboard Silver Wind between Montreal and Charleston (South Carolina) will enjoy a performance from the J4 Quartet in New York. Departing on 29 October 2019, the 12-day voyage will call in Quebec City, Charlottetown (Prince Edward Island), Sydney (Nova Scotia), Halifax (Nova Scotia), Bar Harbor Maine, Boston Massachusetts, Cape Cod, and New York, before reaching Charleston (South Carolina). Fares start from AU$8,700* based on double occupancy in a Vista Suite. Last minute savings are also available on this voyage.
Ensemble Bacchelli in Livorno, Italy: Ensemble Bacchelli, an acclaimed musical and cultural association, whose performances have appeared on Italian television, performs an inspiring repertoire of genres, from baroque to classical, from lyric opera to operetta, from the 19th-century Viennese tradition to popular music and movie soundtracks. The works of Tuscan-born composers Pietro Mascagni and Giacomo Puccini especially resonate with the ensemble.
– 5929 – Rome (Civitavecchia) to Monte Carlo: Ensemble Bacchelli will perform in Livorno for guests of this Venetian Society sailing between Rome (Civitavecchia) and Monte Carlo, departing on 29 September 2019. On a 9-day voyage, Silver Spirit will call in Sorrento, Amalfi, Palermo (Sicily), Alghero (Sardinia), Livorno (Tuscany), and Portofino, before arriving in Monte Carlo.
Monaco Brass in Monte Carlo, Monaco: Monaco Brass, a 12-piece brass and percussion ensemble, hails from the venerable Monte Carlo Philharmonic Orchestra, Monaco’s premier orchestra. The celebrated ensemble gives concerts every year in a variety of festivals and halls with a repertoire ranging from the Renaissance to the 20th century, including jazz and film music.
– 4917 – Barcelona to Athens (Piraeus): In Monte Carlo on 20 July 2019, Monaco Brass will delight guests traveling aboard Silver Whisper. Departing 18 July 2019, this 12-day sailing between Barcelona and Athens (Piraeus) will call in Marseille, Monte Carlo, Cinqueterre (Portovenere), Sorrento, Siracusa, Valletta, Hydra (Pahang), and Santorini, before reaching Athens (Piraeus) on 30 July 2019. Fares start from AU$14,700* based on double occupancy in a Veranda Suite. An exclusive air offer is also available on this voyage.
Authentic Flamenco in Palma de Mallorca & Seville, Spain: Authentic Flamenco—a group of performers who have graced the stages of the Flamenco Biennial of Seville, a world-renowned flamenco festival—presents the Spanish art of flamenco. This cherished tradition of song, dance and music, which has earned a place on UNESCO’s Intangible Cultural Heritage list, is also showcased by other gifted artists in other ports in Spain, such as pianist Sergio Monroy in Cádiz and Raza Flamenco in Barcelona. And Portugal’s UNESCO-listed Fado singing genre is paired with flamenco for a unique show, during calls in Lisbon.
– 3922 – Barcelona to Lisbon: This 9-day voyage between Barcelona and Lisbon will include a performance from Authentic Flamenco in Palma de Mallorca on 12 August 2019. After departing Barcelona on 10 August 2019, Silversea’s Silver Shadow will call in Palma de Mallorca, Valencia, Malaga (Costa Del Sol), Cadiz, and Portimão, ahead of arriving in Lisbon. Fares start from AU$7,900* based on double occupancy in a Vista Suite. Last minute savings and an exclusive air offer are also available on this voyage.
Alaska String Band in Juneau, Alaska: This award-winning family of troubadours, which has featured on U.S. public television, showcases the best of Americana with an impressive collection of instruments, ranging from acoustic guitar to fiddle, mandolin and banjo. Featured genres include swing, jazz, rock, pop, folk and bluegrass.
– 6920 – Vancouver to Seward (Anchorage, Alaska): The Alaska String Band will perform for Silversea’s guests in Juneau on 11 August 2019. This 7-day voyage aboard Silver Muse – departing 8 August 2019 – between Vancouver and Seward (Anchorage, Alaska) will journey through the Inside Passage, before calling in Ketchikan (Alaska), Juneau (Alaska), Skagway (Alaska), Sitka (Alaska), and the Hubbard Glacier (Alaska). Fares start from AU$6,400* based on double occupancy in a Vista Suite. Last minute savings are also available on this voyage.
In addition to Silversea’s enhanced range of local performances, the cruise line recently bolstered its on-board entertainment offering with upgrades to its in-suite television programming.
Silversea’s guests cruise in superlative comfort: ocean-view suites, sumptuous cuisine that adapts according to the sailed region, and the personalised service of a butler are just a few standout features. Enhancing the experience are such all-inclusive amenities as complimentary premium wines and spirits, speciality coffees, bottled water, juices and soft drinks served throughout the ship; an in-suite bar, stocked with guests’ preferences; an in-suite 24-hour dining service; and unlimited complimentary Wi-Fi.
Visit www.silversea.com for more details.