Air Canada and Queen Victoria Market create first outdoor ice rink
Air Canada has partnered with Melbourne’s Queen Victoria Market to create Melbourne’s first outdoor summer ice rink. The Air Canada Ice Rink will be the centrepiece of the Market’s festive celebrations, with shoppers enjoying the spirit of a northern hemisphere Christmas during the first three weeks of Australia’s summer (1–24 December 2018).
The Air Canada Ice Rink will ‘pop-up’ under the Market’s 140-year-old historic sheds, with skating sessions running hourly.
Air Canada will also offer Melburnians a ‘taste of Canada’ with rink-side treats such as maple syrup ice cream and poutine (a Canadian national treasure of French fries, cheese curds and gravy).
Air Canada General Manager Australia and New Zealand Vic Naughton says the Air Canada Ice Rink provides an opportunity to demonstrate the airline’s commitment to Melbourne market and thank locals for their support during an extraordinary 2018.
“Victorians have absolutely embraced our non-stop services between Melbourne and Vancouver, so much so that we are introducing a fourth schedule year-round flight from June 2019,” says Naughton.
“The Air Canada Ice Rink is a fun way of expressing our gratitude for that support, while continuing our efforts – as national sponsor of the Australian Ice Hockey League – to bring a little bit of classic Canadian culture to the heart of a great Australian city.”
The Air Canada Ice Rink will be open on market days between 1 and 24 December (excluding Mondays), plus on Wednesday evenings as part of the Summer Night Market. Tickets cost $10 for children (under-14s), $15 for adults, and $45 for a family pass (two adults and two children).
To spread the Christmas cheer, Queen Victoria Market is offering the chance for two lucky skaters to win a return flight to Vancouver with Air Canada. Full competition details will be available from 1 December at www.qvm.com.au.
AIR CANADA ICE RINK AT QUEEN VICTORIA MARKET
- 1–24 December 2018 on market days (Tuesday and Thursday through to Sunday).
- The Market and the ice rink will be open on Christmas Eve, Monday 24 December.
- On Wednesdays, the rink will be open in the evening only, 5pm–10pm alongside the Summer Night Market.
- Rink open times vary each day – visit www.qvm.com.au/whats-on for full details.
Location: Queen Victoria Market, C Shed, enter via Peel Street
- Tickets can be booked online at https://aircanadaicerink.tailoredticketing.com/ and in person at the rink.
- Adults $15, Children $10 (under 14 years), Kanga Skating Aides $8, Family (2 adults 2 children) $45. Ticket price includes skate hire and helmets and knee pads.
- Sessions begin at the start of the hour and run for 45 minutes.
Instagram: @vicmarket | Facebook: QueenVicMarket