Aussie travellers are hungry for food experiences
- Food experiences are the fastest growing travel category, according to TripAdvisor bookings
- TripAdvisor celebrates the fastest-growing experiences segment by revealing the world’s best tours/best tours in CITY – as decided by travellers
Food experiences are dominating traveller booking growth, according to newly released data from TripAdvisor. Food tours are the fastest growing experiences category on the travel booking site based on traveller spend, which increased a whopping 61 percent last year versus 2016.
Using booking data, TripAdvisor identified the top ten food cities in the world, with food meccas Rome and Florence capturing the top two spots on the list respectively, and Paris rounding out the top three.
TripAdvisor also identified foodie destinations to watch–Quebec City topped the list, and two Australian destinations (Sydney and Brisbane) ranked in the top ten. In the US, Savannah, Miami and Charleston’s bustling restaurant scenes are spilling over into the food tour world, taking three of the top ten spots.
Fast (food) facts:
- Globally, food tour bookings jumped 57 percent last year, with massive traveller interest around the world
- Travellers from Canada (594 percent), the UK (583 percent), and Australia (489 percent) are leading the way with food experience booking growth
- Food tour bookings in the US grew 59 percent in 2017
“Travellers are increasingly interested in getting local insight on their destination, and food tours and cooking classes a great way to do that,” said TripAdvisor spokesperson Laurel Greatrix. “Guides can be a great resource for finding hidden gems or local favourite spots, and can create an unforgettable part of your trip. Coming home with a local recipe or a new favourite restaurant is the best souvenir.”
TripAdvisor’s best food experience cities in the world
More and more travellers are going beyond traditional dining in their destinations to book local food experience–and whether you’re making a pizza in Rome or sampling beignets in New Orleans, exploring the local cuisine is always a major travel highlight.
TripAdvisor’s best food experiences in the world
To celebrate this rapidly growing category, we’ve used an algorithm to identify the world’s best food experiences. From pizza and gelato in Rome, to tapas and wine in Madrid, travellers will taste the best the world has to offer on these tours:
1. Rome Food Tour by Sunset around Prati District – Rome, Italy
Stray from the beaten path and visit eateries favoured by Romans on a food-and-walking tour of the Prati neighbourhood.
2. Pizza and Gelato Cooking Class in Tuscan Farmhouse from Florence – Florence, Italy
Escape the city to a remote farmhouse on a relaxing Tuscan estate where you’ll master the basics of Italian pizza and gelato.
3. Paris Food Tour: Taste of Montmartre – Paris, France
Embark on a culinary tour of Paris’s Montmartre neighbourhood, one of the city’s most charming neighbourhoods
4. Venice Food Tour: Cicchetti and Wine – Venice, Italy
Stray from the tourist trail, and visit five of Venice’s most popular cichetti bars, famed for Venetian-style tapas and wine.
5. Street Food Tour in Rome – Rome, Italy
Street food helps you understand a city’s culture unlike anything else, and this Rome food tour gives you an inside scoop on local specialties with a bit of sightseeing along the way.
6. Madrid Tapas and Wine Tasting Tour – Madrid, Spain
Explore Madrid’s culture through its tapas and wine on this guided tour, limited to a small group of 12 people for an intimate atmosphere.
Let a guide reveal the best food spots in Trastevere, Campo de’ Fiori, and the Jewish quarter.
8. New Orleans Food Walking Tour of the French Quarter – New Orleans, USA
Exploring New Orleans food with a guide means you get a behind-the-scenes look into local kitchens, with plenty of tips on where to eat, drink, and visit while discovering New Orleans—bring an appetite for everything from beignets to brisket.
9. Tapas Evening Walking Tours of Barcelona – Barcelona, Spain
During your pre-dinner outing you’ll explore some of the city’s most famous tapas bars around La Rambla, La Boqueria food market and the Gothic Quarter with an expert food guide, learning how to order these iconic bar snacks like a local.
10.Interactive Spanish Cooking Experience in Barcelona – Barcelona, Spain
Learn to make Spanish tapas, traditional paella, and sangria with a Barcelona chef, then share a hearty dinner of classic local cuisine that you’ve made yourself.
Foodie destinations to watch
For the food expert that’s already experienced Rome and New York City, we’ve identified 10 cities where food tours are on the rise. Savannah, Miami and Charleston’s bustling restaurant scenes are spilling over into the food tour world, taking three of the top ten spots.
Run a food experience that’s not listed on TripAdvisor? Apply to have your experience listed here.