The two recent terrorist attacks in Tunisia have been terrible, and it is playing a seriously negative impact towards tourism in the country.
Terrorism always aims to inspire the kind of fear that will get people to change their behaviour, and the fear of a repeat attack is one of the reasons 3,500 tourists have left Tunisia since Friday.
The Foreign Office has updated its travel advice. “Further terrorist attacks in Tunisia, including in tourist resorts, are possible,” it says, “including by individuals who are unknown to the authorities and whose actions are inspired by terrorist groups via social media.”
However as the BBC has reported, the Foreign Office had already warned of a “high threat from terrorism” in Tunisia before Friday’s massacre. “Attacks could be indiscriminate, including in places visited by foreigners,” it said, urging people to be “especially vigilant”.
It specifically mentioned a prior attack on the Bardo Museum in the capital Tunis, which left 22 people dead in March.
“If it’s a one-off attack, people forget,” says Morakabati. “With Tunisia we’ve had, in a matter of months, two of them – sending the signal that it’s frequent.”
The future of tourism in Tunisia looks bleak at this point, and it is almost fair enough, as it is definitely not safe to travel there right at this point in time.