Air Travel survey reveals what Aussie flyers like and dislike
TripAdvisor®, the world’s largest travel site*, today announced the results of its annual air travel survey of more than 10,000 respondents in Australia. Regional travel remains popular amongst Aussie travellers as 90 per cent of travellers intend to fly on a short haul flight at least once in 2015, up slightly from 88 per cent. More travellers are expecting to fly further afield this year, as 78 per cent intend to travel on a long-haul flight, compared to 75 per cent who did so in 2014.
“Air travel continues to grow this year with more airlines flying to Australia as well as increased demand for short haul and long haul travel amongst Aussie travellers,” said Andrew Wong, regional director of TripAdvisor Flights, APAC. “For the 2nd year in a row, flyers have named seating comfort as their number one concern and airlines need to take note of these complaints and make the necessary improvements, especially in the economy cabin for long haul flights,” said Andrew Wong, regional director of TripAdvisor Flights, APAC.
“Online booking, price comparison and airport check-in process on the other hand have been cited as the most improved aspects of air travel this year.”
Air Travel Preferences and Pet Peeves
When asked what they enjoyed most about the air travel experience, travellers listed the excitement and adventure of jet-setting at the top of the list.
Top 5 things travellers like most about air travel:
1. Thrill of getting to a new destination – 77%
2. Sense of adventure – 58%
3. In-flight amenities – 35%
4. Looking out of the plane’s window during take-off / landing – 32%
5. Chance to take a break from work (e.g.email) during the flight – 25%
When asked what they enjoyed least about the air travel experience, travellers identified discomfort aboard the flight, along with additional airline fees as the top frustrations.
Top 5 things travellers like least about flying:
1. Uncomfortable seats / limited legroom – 76%
2. Added fees (e.g., baggage fees, seat selection fees, etc.) – 57%
3. Unpredictable flight delays / cancellations – 56%
4. Loud / crying children – 55%
5. Long security lines / customs wait times – 40%
· Flyers unhappy about over shrinking seats 79% of flyers are “strongly opposed” to airlines installing narrower seats in the economy class cabin
· 41% of flyers “always” or “often” pay extra for a better airplane seat assignment
· 64% say they are more likely to pay for a better seat assignment now than they were five years ago
Given shrinking seats, it comes as no surprise that the biggest improvement travellers want is more space. Here are the top three amenities travellers say would make the air travel experience better:
1. More legroom – 33%
2. More space between other passengers – 25%
3. More comfortable seats – 21%
Most improved aspects of air travel over the past five years
When asked about the top air travel improvements over the past five years, travellers gave ease of booking flights and the opening of new flight routes to new destinations as their top choices.
Top five biggest improvements in air travel:
1. Ease of booking online – 76%
2. Comparison shopping on flight search sites – 61%
3. Number of flight / itinerary options – 59%
4. In-flight entertainment options – 50%
5. Ability to find comprehensive fare, flight and price information on a single site – 48%
A closer look at how travellers in Australia shop for and book flights:
· The top three factors for choosing a flight are direct versus non-direct (64%), airline (51%) and departure and arrival time / desired time of day to travel (50%)
· While the vast majority of flyers say they typically book flights on their laptop or PC (75%), 23% say they have booked a flight on a mobile device
· 90% of travellers say it’s important to use flight search sites for price comparison
· 58 % of travellers check 2-3 sites when shopping for airfare
· 54% of flyers are loyal to a particular airline, with 72% of those noting that it’s because of the airline’s frequent flyer program
TripAdvisor Flights Provides First Class Booking Insights
To help travellers make the best booking decision, TripAdvisor Flights features comprehensive in-flight insights, amenities information and candid traveller photos along with the ability to scan for the lowest prices for airlines globally. Travellers can learn more at http://www.tripadvisor.com.au/CheapFlightsHome.